Cristiano Ronaldo will not be prosecuted over allegations of sexual assault in Las Vegas in 2009, lawyers say.
The Clark County District Attorney’s Office said on Monday that it “will decline to prosecute” a sexual assault allegation made in 2009.
In September, the Portugal international was accused of sexually assaulting American woman Kathryn Mayorga in a hotel room in Las Vegas in June 2009 – a claim he denies.
Ronaldo said rape was “an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.”
The investigation was originally closed in 2009, however, it was reopened days before Ms Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit in September. The civil case is still open against Ronaldo.
A statement from the Clark County Attorney’s Office read: “Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
“Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming.”
The attorney’s office said on 13 June 2009 that the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department received a call from a woman who claimed she had been sexually assaulted.
When speaking to detectives at the time, the woman said she knew the person who claimed she sexually assaulted her.
However, she refused to identify him and would also not say where the attack happened.
Police say they were unable to “follow investigative protocols for sexual assault cases or to conduct any meaningful investigation” as they were unable to visit the location of the crime or impound vital forensic evidence.
The statement also said video evidence believed to show interactions between the alleged attacker and victim before and after the crime were lost, leading to the criminal case closing for the first time.