The Football Association says it will appeal against the ban and fine handed to Daniel Sturridge because they feel it is too lenient.
Former Liverpool striker Sturridge was given a six-week suspension from football and a £75,000 fine for breaching FA betting regulations.
An independent regulatory commission found that Sturridge had instructed his brother to bet on a possible move to Sevilla during the January 2018 transfer window.
Sturridge has been suspended and fined [/caption]
Nine of the 11 charges against the striker were dismissed and Sturridge is free to resume his career on July 31 as four weeks of his ban are suspended.
A statement from the FA said: “The regulatory commission found proved charges 3 and 4, which alleged that, in that same transfer window, Mr Sturridge had instructed his brother, Leon, to bet on a possible move by him (Daniel) to Sevilla FC.
“In issuing that instruction, the regulatory commission found that, as a matter of fact, Mr Sturridge had provided his brother with inside information for that purpose.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
“By way of sanction, the Regulatory Commission imposed on Mr Sturridge a six-week suspension from participation in any domestic football matches (including friendlies), such suspension being effective from 17 July 2019.
“Four weeks of that ban have been suspended until 31 August 2020, meaning that Mr Sturridge will be able to resume participating by 31 July 2019 in the event he commits no further breaches of FA Rule E8.
“In addition, the Regulatory Commission imposed a fine of £75,000 on Mr Sturridge.
“The FA respectfully disagrees with the regulatory commission’s findings and will be appealing against the charges which were dismissed and the sanction which was imposed.”
Sturridge ended up joining West Brom for the second half of the 2017/18 campaign when a move to Sevilla broke down.
The 29-year-old is currently without a club after being released by Liverpool at the end of last season, having scored 67 times in 160 appearances during his six-and-a-half year spell at Anfield.
Reacting to the commission’s findings, he expressed his relief the situation had been resolved.
“I am pleased that nine of the 11 charges were dismissed and that the panel found me to be an honest and credible witness, and that my actions on one particularly difficult day were out of character,” he said.
“The case was heard over seven days by a distinguished panel, which resulted in a lengthy and carefully considered decision, and followed an extensive investigation by the FA. It is therefore extremely disappointing to hear that the FA will be appealing this decision. I will continue to defend the case and the appeal.
“I am training hard and fully focused on the upcoming football season.”
Earlier in July, the player made headlines here and in America when he offered a £30,000 reward for the return of his dog, which he said had been stolen.
Lucci had disappeared during a break-in at his house in Los Angeles, but was quickly reunited with his beloved pet.