Bury’s fixtures could be suspended ahead of the 2019/20 season, the English Football League has announced.
The crisis-hit club were given a 12-point deduction ahead of the League One campaign after entering a Company Voluntary Agreement over unpaid debts.
But the Shakers’ future remains in the air with the local Safety Advisory Group meeting on Thursday to consider whether the club meets all the requirements necessary to safely stage EFL fixtures at home ground Gigg Lane for the 2019-20 season.
The EFL said in a statement that the league has the ability to suspend Bury’s fixtures under Regulation 28.2 should the SAG confirm the club does not have the sufficient resources and facilities for its opening fixtures and/or it fails to provide all the outstanding information and documentation.
EFL executive chair Debbie Jevans said: “This is an incredibly difficult and complex situation for all those involved, in particular the staff, players and supporters of the club.
“We fully recognise the value and importance of the club to the local community and its fans, and will continue to work proactively and diligently with the ownership, as we have done over an extended period of time to try and ensure Bury FC has a long-term future as a member of the EFL.”
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Bury were promoted last season and entered the CVA after a winding-up petition over unpaid debts was adjourned at the High Court last month.
Club chairman Steve Dale said that the future of the cash-strapped Shakers would be safe after agreeing the CVA, but there has been at exodus this summer with manager Ryan Lowe and last season’s promotion-winning squad leaving Gigg Lane.